A little plant based sweet treat I put together last week for Fakeaway Friday, the perfect end to a good, mood boosting meal.
Made totally free from refined sugar and dairy, with a generous layer of cacao giving this treat a perfect feel good, antioxidant boost.
Cacao Dark Nectar Honeycomb
FODMAP Friendly, Vegan, Gluten and Refined Sugar Free
- 3 tbsp Dark Agave Nectar
- 1 cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp Bicarb Soda
- Vegan Chocolate Coating:
- 75g Cacao Butter
- 1/2 cup Cacao Powder
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Pinch of Sea Salt Flakes, to decorate
- To Make the Honeycomb: Grease and line a tin with baking paper over-hanging to help remove the dried honeycomb
- Pace the Agave followed by the Coconut Sugar in a medium sized pan and stir over a low heat until the sugar disolves (approx 5 mins). Once disolved, bring the mxiture to the boil for 2 mins without stirring.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the bicarb. Pour the mixture in the pre prepared tin and leave to cool. If room temp is partcularly hot, place it in the fridge to harden.
- Once set, remove the honeycomb from the tin and break apart roughly using a knife and set the pieces to one side.
- To Make the Cacao Coating: Create a ban marie by boiling and simmering a small amount of water in a small pan and place the Cacao Butter in a heat proof bowl over it - make sure the simmering water doesn't touch the bowl.
- Once boiled, remove from the heat and sieve in the cacao and stir to combine. When fully combined, add the maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt to taste.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the honeycomb pieces and leave to set - add sprinkles of sea salt slightly before the choclate has fully set (too early and the salt will sink in, too late and it won't stick!).
I like to keep these in the fridge, they will last 3-5 days (if you've not eaten them before!)